Friday, April 30, 2010
Thursday, April 15, 2010
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large bunch basil, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons gin
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- undBasil sprigs, for garnish (optional)
1. Make basil syrup: In a large microwave-safe measuring cup, combine sugar, 3/4 cup water, and basil.
2. Microwave on high until sugar dissolves, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Let basil steep in syrup 20 to 30 minutes, then strain (you'll have enough syrup for 4 drinks).
4. Fill 2 highball glasses with ice. Into each glass, pour 3 tbsp. gin, 4 tbsp. basil syrup, and 2 tbsp. lime juice. Stir and serve, garnished with basil sprigs.
Time: 5 minutes, plus 20 minutes to steep. Move over, mint: Basil's spicy flavor puts a fresh spin on the traditional gimlet. Make the syrup before guests arrive—it keeps up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Tip: Add lemon juice and chilled water to the leftover syrup and serve over ice for basil lemonade.
recipe via sunset