Tuesday, August 31, 2010
Monday, August 30, 2010
Sunday, August 29, 2010
Today I spent the day cooking with some of my favorite girlies. We made the most delish meal of ratatouille served over egg whites, with a side of sautéed zucchini, soft swiss cheese, jam and bread sticks. Oh, and of course champagne. I can’t think of a better way to spend the day.
Thursday, August 26, 2010
Fast-forward two decades. This week I turned 30. My life has been filled with countless blessings. So, in celebration, I wanted to follow the lead of my pen pal from years ago, spreading happiness and connecting with others with the help of a little helium. Last night a group of good friends joined me in releasing 30 balloons out into the world. On each card was a hand-written message from one of my guests to the balloon's finder." Via An open sketch book
Wednesday, August 25, 2010
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
How to Make the Pom-Poms
You'll need tissue paper and 24-gauge white cloth-covered floral wire.
1. Stack eight 20-by-30-inch sheets of tissue. Make 1 1/2-inchwide accordion folds, creasing with each fold.
2. Fold an 18-inch piece of floral wire in half, and slip over center of folded tissue; twist. With scissors, trim ends of tissue into rounded or pointy shapes.
3. Separate layers, pulling away from center one at a time.
4. Tie a length of monofilament to floral wire for hanging.via Martha Stewart
Yield: Makes 1 serving
- 1 1/2 ounces bourbon
- 1/2 cup blood orange juice
- 8 fresh mint leaves, plus sprig for mint
- 1 orange wedge
- Turbinado sugar for garnish
In a shaker, mix together the bourbon, blood orange juice, and mint leaves. Serve over ice in a low glass and garnish with a sprig of mint. Rub the rim of the glass with the orange wedge, then dip the edge in a dish of turbinado sugar (also called sugar in the raw).
recipe via Real Simple
- 2 pears (such as Bosc or Bartlett), each cut into 8 wedges
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup arugula
- 3 ounces blue cheese, cut into small pieces
- 6 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut in half lengthwise
In a large bowl, toss the pears and lemon juice.
Layer a slice of pear, an arugula leaf, and a piece of cheese on a piece of prosciutto and roll up.
- Wear the right clothes. Dress appropriately for the event.
- Arrive on time - but never early. Generally 15 to 30 minutes after the appointment hour is acceptable.
- Bring an appropriate gift.
- Try to mingle and not spend the whole night talking to the same people.
- Learn some basic conversational escape strategies ( "I'm going to get a drink - Can I get you something?").
- Don't be the last to leave, unless you're very close friends.